After sharing my very simple but very delicious dinner the other day on my insta’, I received a few messages about the recipe for my Beetroot Chutney (Home Front Solution #40) and thought the best way to share the love would be adding it on here.
It comes from the very talented Monika from Everyday Healthy Recipes and I recommend having a gander at the rest of her site as she has so many other nice recipes to get your mouth watering.
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 42 minutes
TotalTime: 50 minutes
Servings: 8 portions
Author: Monika Dabrowski
- ▢Medium size saucepan
- ▢400 g beetroot peeled, finely diced
- ▢1 medium red onion finely chopped
- ▢1 medium sour apple peeled, cored, cubed
- ▢1⅓ tbsp fresh ginger peeled, finely chopped
- ▢45 g sugar (I used honey instead and it was delicious)
- ▢70 ml white wine vinegar/apple cider vinegar
- ▢30 ml apple juice
- ▢1 tsp nigella seeds/onion seeds
- ▢½ tsp ground cumin and coriander each
- ▢1 tsp dark soy sauce
- ▢⅔ tsp coarse sea salt plus pepper to taste
- To the pot add the vinegar, apple juice, sugar, fresh ginger, spices and seasoning. Cook for a minute until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts bubbling up.
- Add the diced beetroot, apple and onion, stir, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the beetroot is tender but still has some crunch, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the soy sauce and place one third of the mixture in a small food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the larger pieces (do not puree completely).
- Place the mixture back in the pot, stir in and set aside to cool completely. Spoon the chutney into a jar and refrigerate (for up to 2 weeks).
This blog falls into our Dig for Victory series which is all about food, whether it’s growing, cooking or storing. Find out more about this series and our others at on our Overview blog or find more in the same series by pressing the “Dig for Victory” tab on the menu.
I am a pink haired, list lover with a silver lining outlook on life and a passion for reviving history.